Friday, September 25, 2009

Herbed White Beans


Al's not much of a bean guy, but he loves this side dish!  The recipe is based off a recipe found in the You on a Diet book by Dr. Oz & Roizen.


You'll need:
-1 TB olive oil

-1/2-1 tomato (depending on your preference), chopped

-1/2 sweet onion, chopped

-1 can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
-1 clove of garlic, chopped/pressed

-1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
-handful (~1/4 cup total) of chopped basil and dill
(We prefers all dill but I have a hard time growing it here, so I supplement with my weed of a basil plant)

Start out by heating the olive oil in a pan, add the chopped onions and cook until translucent and soft.
Add the rest of the ingredients and season with pepper and salt (preferably Kosher salt).  Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Of course, Al prefers everything to be cooked longer so that the flavors can blend, so I usually cook it for 30-45 minutes, but 15-20 will do ya fine.  Also, Al prefers the beans mashed up, so I mash them while I stir and I get this.

Such a yummy side dish and goes well with Mediterranean chicken!

No comments: